tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Stefán Freyr Stefánsson <ste...@decode.is>
Subject Directory listing problem and two way authentication bugfix/enhancement
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:09:57 GMT
Hello.

I've been working on getting two way authentication to work in Tomcat 3.2
for some time now and I've finally gotten it to work.  I want to post a
bugfix to the problem but I'm not sure how to do that.  I modified the
SSLSocketFactory class and used the <Parameter name="clientAuth"
value"true"> within the <Connector> tag to specify whether client
authentication is required or not.  I don't know if this is prefferable or
not (I saw some discussion on having seperate keystores per virtual host...
and this would not work really well with that concept since this solution
only works on the connector) but it may help some people who would like
client authentication in their project.  So my point is... I need
information about where to send the updated version of SSLSocketFactory
class.  I'm attatching it to this letter in case someone wants to use it.
For those who choose to use it here's an example of the <Connector> tag in
server.xml:
        <Connector className="org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpConnector">
            <Parameter name="handler"

value="org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler"/>
            <Parameter name="port"
                value="443"/>
            <Parameter name="socketFactory"
                value="org.apache.tomcat.net.SSLSocketFactory" />
	    <Parameter name="clientAuth"
	        value="true" />
        </Connector>

But now I have another problem.  The directory listing problem.  I had
problems getting the basic authentication (server authentication) to work to
begin with... After a while of wondering and posting to this list I received
an answer from Ismael Blesa Part.  He told me that what I was experiencing
was a "directory listing problem".  This problem behaves in a way that if
you type in https://localhost/ on your browser the webserver is redirecting
the browser to the address http://localhost:443/index.html instead of
https://localhost/index.html which is a bad thing since the browser then
doesn't know that he's talking through SSL.

So what I need to do next is fix this problem in Tomcat.  If anyone can help
me get started with that I would appreciate it very much... where does the
code reside that is responsible for this redirection?

Thanks very much in advance,
Stefan Freyr