tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Stefán Freyr Stefánsson <ste...@decode.is>
Subject Tomcat 3.2 SSL - Unrecognized SSL handshake...
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2000 09:16:30 GMT
Does anybody know this error?

I'm receiving it when trying to access https://localhost:8443 (or just
https://localhost when Tomcat is configured to listen to port 443).  I'm
using Tomcat standalone.

I've done everything I was told to do by the server.xml file, and I've even
looked through the SSLSocketFactory class code and found nothing which may
be not working...  I've added JSSE to my classpath and I did the keystore
thing with the -keyalg RSA flag so I'm a little bit baffled!

Here is the output I get from the Tomcat console window when I try to access
the server:
2000-09-08 08:36:01 - ContextManager: IOException reading request, ignored -
javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unrecognized SSL handshake.
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.read([DashoPro-V1.2-120198])
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a([DashoPro-V1.2-120198])
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a([DashoPro-V1.2-120198])
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppInputStream.read([DashoPro-V1.2-120198])
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:186)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:204)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpRequestAdapter.doRead(HttpRequestAdapter.
java:120)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.BufferedServletInputStream.doRead(BufferedServletInpu
tStream.java:106)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.BufferedServletInputStream.read(BufferedServletInputS
tream.java:128)
        at
javax.servlet.ServletInputStream.readLine(ServletInputStream.java:138)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpRequestAdapter.readNextRequest(HttpReques
tAdapter.java:134)
        at
onnectionHandler.java:192)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:403)
        at
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

What I get up on the browser depends on a few things.  If I call
http://localhost:8443 or http://localhost:443 (depending only upon what port
Tomcat is configured to listen to) I do not get the certificate window up on
the screen.  If, however, I call https://localhost:8443 or https://127.0.0.1
I get the certificate screen and the certificate is correct... My name,
signed by me and so on.  NOTE: I do not get the certificate window when
trying to access https://localhost.  That appears to redirect to
http://localhost:443/index.html).  This is for MS IExplorer.  The only thing
that appears on the browser window are five little boxes ("") (It
doesnt matter if I get the certificate window or not... it always ends up
like this... five little boxes).

In Netscape I get the certificate window and I can view everything when I
try to access https://localhost but once I have accepted the certificate a
window appears telling me:
"Warning! You have requested an insecure document that was originally
designated a secure document (the location has been redirected from a secure
to an insecure document). The document and any information you send back
could be observed by a third party while in transit."
When I press Continue another window appears telling me that "the document
contained no data".
In Netscape I get the certificate window if I access https://localhost,
https://localhost:pnum or https://127.0.0.1.  I do not get that window if I
try to access http://localhost:443, http://localhost:pnum or
http://127.0.0.1:pnum.  If I try to access http://127.0.0.1:pnum I get an
146 HTTP error (Connection refused), however I only get the "document
contained no data" window if I try to access http://localhost:pnum.

One bizarre thing to me is that when I have tried to access the server the
URL in the browser always seems to be rewritten...  like if I access
https://localhost then it is rewritten to http://localhost:443 (this is only
visible in IExplorer but I have a funny feeling that Netscape is doing the
same thing just without showing it).  Any ideas?

I really hope someone can help me with this thing... I know there have been
others who have had this problem and I've been monitoring all SSL related
posts on the mailing lists but haven't seen any solution to their problem.

I'm using Windows 2000 for development and JDK1.3 from Sun.

Please help...

Kind regards and thanks in advance,
	Stefan