tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Allen Akers" <Ak...@cc.admin.unt.edu>
Subject Re: more on hard coded mime types
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:28:49 GMT
Are you sure this isn't a browser issue?  Sounds like the XML file should be re-routed to the
client side of WebStart in order to start up the appropriate program.  It seems that would
need to be set in the MIME handler on the browser side.  Just a thought from someone who hasn't
looked over WebStart yet.

               Allen Akers
               Programmer Analyst
               Strategic Web and Voice Development
               ________________________________
               akers@cc.admin.unt.edu

>>> NP-WAYLAND_DAN@subcontractor.PRC.com 08/08/00 02:31PM >>>
At this point, I've added my mime mapping to every web.xml file that I have.
It still displays the jnlp file as if it were xml.  Apache worked very
easily by just adding

application/jnlp		jnlp

to the mime.types file.  Can anybody see if they can duplicate this problem?
JNLP files are xml files that lauch java applications and applets through
Web Start.  You can download Web Start from
http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/

If your Tomcat server starts the application with web start instead of
showing you the xml, what else did you do besides add the mime type to
web.xml?

Dan

I need to add a mime type to my Jakarta Tomcat server to handle jnlp files.
I tried adding

<mime-mapping>
        <extension> jnlp </extension>
        <mime-type> application/jnlp </mime-type>
</mime-mapping>

to my web.xml file, and it didn't work.  The .jnlp file still gets served up
as though it's xml.  I read in this mailing list that some of the stuff from
web.xml such as mime types has become hard coded.  Is there any way to add a
new mime type to handle these jnlp or Web Start files appropriately?

If you tried to add it to WEB-INF/web.xml and it didn't work - it's a
serious bug. If you tried to add it to conf/web.xml - it will not work with
the current code, but it's not a bug (IMHO). If you want to have portable
applications you need to add the mime type you need to WEB-INF/web.xml. It
is very easy to allow the admin to add new mime types, but if we want to do
that it's better to use server.xml as a config file. We can do that for
tomcat 3.3. Costin

--
Dan Wayland
Southwest Research Institute