tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cmanola...@yahoo.com
Subject Re: Building 3.2
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2000 00:14:02 GMT

> On this topic kind of, what exactly _is_ the difference between 3.2 and 3.3
> anyway?

3.3 is the development version. 3.2 is the stable one, where only
(important and safe) bug fixes goes in.

So far in 3.3:
- improved performance ( in some tests it is 1.5 .. 2x over 3.2)
- start of i18n ( charset support and guessing )
- start of Servlet 2.3 ( facade23, compilation )
- improved security ( use of URLClassLoader, tighten up everything)
- improved reloading ( DependManager )
- improved startup ( including separated classpaths for webserver and
applications, ability to override the parser)
- few major refactorings ( to achieve cleaner demarcation of componenets,
better code organization )
- reduced GC ( even more compared with 3.2 - so far about 8..20k less
GC memory  per request - as reported by OptimizeIt )

I think that's all so far, but I'm sure more ideas will show up :-)

Probably when it'll be ready it will have at least:
- support for non-ascii charsets ( I18N )
- better performance
- better code

And I hope for full servlet2.3 ( as an optional package, 2.2 will still be
the stable and tested one ).

Costin