tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cmanola...@yahoo.com
Subject Re: hard coded mime types
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2000 21:07:57 GMT
> <mime-mapping>
>         <extension> jnlp </extension>
>         <mime-type> application/jnlp </mime-type>
> </mime-mapping>
>
> to my web.xml file, and it didn't work.  The .jnlp file still gets served up
> as though it's xml.  I read in this mailing list that some of the stuff from
> web.xml such as mime types has become hard coded.  Is there any way to add a
> new mime type to handle these jnlp or Web Start files appropriately?

If you tried to add it to WEB-INF/web.xml and it didn't work - it's a
serious bug.

If you tried to add it to conf/web.xml - it will not work with the current
code, but it's not a bug (IMHO). If you want to have portable applications
you need to add the mime type you need to WEB-INF/web.xml.

It is very easy to allow the admin to add new mime types, but if we
want to do that it's better to use server.xml as a config file. We can
do that for tomcat 3.3.

Costin