tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "yhs@mimic.onesourcecorp.com" <...@mimic.onesourcecorp.com>
Subject Re: No sticky sessions (Re: Load Balancing)
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:29:14 GMT

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Joseph Chiu wrote:

> Bah!  Load balancing doesn't work in the official 3.1 distribution.  At
> least not in the "works like Jserv" sense...  The mechanism that tacks on
> the jvmRoute is missing, so the jsessionid cookie never gets the
> ever-important jvmRoute cookie.
>
> The latest tree looks like it's almost there.  At least the Request object
> has a setJvmRoute() method...
>
> So, the only other thing to do is hack in something that'll set the jvmRoute
> value for each Request object...
>
> Hmmm, I guess this is what's called a "sticky session"...
> http://www.metronet.com/~wjm/tomcat/FromFeb11/msg03296.html
>
> Blech.   I just found this out tonight...  And we were so hoping to go live
> Tomcat in two weeks!
>
> -J

ugh. can we leave it the way it is ? its a really bad idea to fiddle with
fairly complex C code and leave it untested/partially tested two weeks
before release...or at least have the option of removing the
sticky load balancing like JServ thingy...its does do sticky stuff with
the same servlet...just not with more than 1 servlet.
-Ys-
yhs@mimic.onesourcecorp.com