tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Voronoff, George" <Geor...@more.com>
Subject RE: Unhelpful JSP Error Messages
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2000 21:29:50 GMT
You can build your stuff with debugging on for one thing.
Then you should get at least a line number and file name
where the problem occured.  Also, you can run tomcat
in a debugger.

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Mulder [mailto:ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 2:26 PM
To: Tomcat Dev List
Subject: Unhelpful JSP Error Messages

	I deployed my first JSP, and predictably enough, it failed to run
on the first try.  The error was classic cut & paste - I missed one
occurance of the bean name in the code I was basing mine on.  However, the
console exception generated by Tomcat was a NullPointerException, and it
only went as far as a Jasper class.  It was singularly unhelpful.  Is
there any way to get more useful validation or error messages for JSP
development?  A log file or something?

Thanks,
	Aaron