tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Catalina 1.0 vs. Tomcat 4.0
Date Sat, 19 Aug 2000 17:56:24 GMT
Alex Chaffee wrote:

> I don't want to open old wounds, but I thought I'd just explain my
> tardy -1 (or -0 if I'm the only one) on renaming Catalina to Tomcat
> 4.0.

More precisely, to use the Catalina code base as the servlet container for
Tomcat 4.0.

Per the Jakarta webside: Tomcat = Servlets + JSP

> [snip]
> Fact: Tomcat 3.x will soon support the new specs too, via Facades.

Lest there be any confusion here, it is important to point out that the draft
Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 specs are backwards compatible.  That means any app that
works in a servlet 2.2 / JSP 1.1 environment will happily run in a servlet 2.3 /
JSP 1.2 container.  This is true for any container, not just Tomcat.

What this means here is that Tomcat 4.0,. as proposed, will run any
spec-compliant app (i.e. one that doesn't rely on unspecified and/or buggy
behavior) that runs in Tomcat 3.x.  No special measures to support two versions
of the API are needed.

Craig