tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Pier P. Fumagalli" <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSALS] Three Proposals for Development of Tomcat 4.0
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:47:00 GMT
"yhs@mimic.onesourcecorp.com" wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Pier P. Fumagalli wrote:
>
> > "yhs@mimic.onesourcecorp.com" wrote:
> > >
> > > ugh. please please maintain JDK 1.1 compatibility for runtime at
> > > least. compiling is ok with JDK 1.2 but JDK 1.1 is a lot more stable for
> > > high volume traffic at runtime. ive seen suns JDK 1.2.2 lock up under high
> > > loads...1.1 doesnt. dropping 1.1 compatibility before 1.2 becomes stable
> > > enough for production use is IMHO a really *bad* idea.
> >
> > I don't agree on maintaining JDK 1.1 compatibility... I believe it's now
> > time to give the good old Platform 1.1 a sound kick in the butt and
> > start working on Platform 2.
> > In my personal experience I've never seen JDK 1.2.2 to lock, on both the
> > operating systems I use (Windo$H and Solaris), actually never had the
> > lightest problem.
> > On what O/S did you see it happen?
> >
> >       Pier
> >
> > BTW, Check your computer's date/time... Your message was dated Mon, 6
> > Jan 1997 19:01:52 -0500 (EST)
>
> linux kernel 2.2.16-3...standard redhat 6.2 box. note that it locked up
> under heavy loads (load average of 40)..blackdowns kept running fine.
> yup. my machines time is messed up..im playing with freebsd on that box.

Uh... Linux... To get a decent VM I changed my Linux box into a Solaris
box (Solaris 8 is free, who the hell cares?), and never had a problem
ever since...
I am a fellow Linux supporter, but as long as they don't fix a couple of
issues on multithreading and in the glibc-2, well, I'm not going to use
it... Too bad.

BTW, did anyone had any experience with Linux and the new JDK 1.3 from
Sun or IBM?

	Pier