tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: 3.2 Final?
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2000 17:54:46 GMT
Serge Knystautas wrote:

> Why not try the trick ant does?  It does a for loop on another bat file
> which gradually builds a temporary environment variable.

It actually does that, building up the CP environment variable.

>  Then the
> java.exe command can just use the environment variable.  I don't know
> how this would work for a huge number of jar files, but in principle it
> seems to get around having a huge command line.

Building up CLASSPATH instead (so you don't have to pass it on the command line) would help,
but the
loop script itself executes a SET command to append each JAR file to the end.  That command
is still
subject to line length restrictions, as far as I know.

Relative paths would shorten the list, but only if your current working directory is $TOMCAT_HOME.
Otherwise, you still need to spell them out.

A better long-term answer might be an installer program that configures a launcher (on Windows
platforms) to get around these difficulties, which stem from limitations in COMMAND.COM.

> Serge Knystautas
> Loki Technologies
> http://www.lokitech.com/

Craig