tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee <g...@edamame.stinky.com>
Subject Re: User's Guide misses NT
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:12:03 GMT
On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 06:22:46PM -0700, Rob S. wrote:
> First off, thanks for taking the time to write =)  This sort of feedback is
> essential in improving the documentation, and comes at just the right time.
>
> > 2) The Win32 instructions would not work well for a naive user,
> > at least on
> > Windows NT.  For example, the instruction for setting TOMCAT_HOME says to
> > do so with the set command.  This works for that command window, but
> > doesn't work for future command windows, or after a shutdown.  It would
> > make more sense to tell the user to use My Computer/Properties to make it
> > happen permanently.  I don't know enough about Win32 to know whether this
> > problem applies there as well.

I added a note at the end of that section (which I rewrote last week)
saying

	Once you're sure they work, these environment variables should
	probably be set in a config file: C:/AUTOEXEC.BAT for Windows,
	~/bash_profile or ~/[what is it for tcsh?]

If you want to write a phrase describing how best to set it in NT (i'm
never sure if it should go in the registry or My Computer or what)
please do and I'll add it.

It's on the web site now at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/tomcat-ug.html#installing_tomcat
in case you're looking at an old version.

> That can be a bit of a slippery slope.

Brief notes like the above are arguably not too slippery, but I see
your point.