tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee <g...@edamame.stinky.com>
Subject flush vs. flushBuffer
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:15:52 GMT
I'm fixing a bug where out.flush() and response.flushBuffer() fail to
actually flush anything to the client (they currently "flush" to the
buffer only, which kind of misses the point :-)

Can anyone explain to me if there's any difference in the semantics of
the two methods?  Jasper thinks of flushBuffer as "flush to the
underlying stream, but don't flush the stream," which (again) imho
misses the point.  I'd like to make sure I'm not missing anything
before I fix Jasper's ResponseImpl to work how I think it should
(namely, just calling OutputBuffer.flush(), which (now) sends the
buffered chars out to the client).

The spec seems clear on the issue: "The flushBuffer method forces any
content in the buffer to be written to the client."

 - Alex