tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee <g...@edamame.stinky.com>
Subject some mod_jk questions/proposals
Date Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:27:43 GMT
1.  Is there a reason why mod_jk is not included in the dist build?
As far as I can see it's pretty stable.  Even if we don't get to
generate binaries, it'd be nice if the source were available in the
standard download so people don't have to figure out CVS etc. in order
to build it.

2.  I wrote a shell script to build and install mod_jk using apxs.  It
basically just sets some variables and calls apxs.  Since there are
issues with Makefiles (they're hard to read; they're not very
cross-platform, e.g. FreeBSD), are there any objections to

 (a) including the build shell script in the source tree as
src/native/apache1.3/build-unix.sh

 (b) deleting the Makefile.linux and Makefile.freebsd so people like
me don't get confused (assuming the shell script works OK)

The only real advantage to make is that it allows incremental
compiling, but since the source is so small (takes about 15 seconds to
build on my Pentium 200), I don't see this as a big issue.

3. The organization of the native directory is a little weird; we have

  apache (empty except for subdirectories, of which only jserv is not empty)
  apache/jserv
  apache/connectors (empty)
  apache/modules (empty)
  apache1.3/  (containing mod_jk makefile and checked-in .o files (??))
  apache2.0/  (also containing mod_jk makefile and checked-in .o files (??))
  jk/ (containing mod_jk source)

So, three top-level directories for mod_jk, and a buried subdirectory
for jserv.

Any objection to reorganizing this to

  src/native/mod_jserv  (jserv source code)
  src/native/mod_jk  (jk source code)
  src/native/mod_jk/apache1.3  (containing 1.3-specific files if necessary)
  src/native/mod_jk/apache2.0  (containing 2.0-specific files if necessary)

If someone can manipulate the files on locus, we could do this while
keeping the revision history intact.

Only problem is, the empty directories would (might) still exist :-(

Cheers -

 - Alex