tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee <g...@edamame.stinky.com>
Subject Re: Catalina 1.0 vs. Tomcat 4.0
Date Sat, 19 Aug 2000 14:36:24 GMT
OK, after sleeping on it and reading the replies from Remy and Craig,
I withdraw my -1 (which was halfhearted at best).

My biggest concern was that new patches to 3.x would be difficult to
integrate, but I realized that that was silly since there will still
be two separate CVS repositories.  I would be completely mollified if
mod_jk and mod_jserv got their own repositories as well
(jakarta-mod-jserv and jakarta-mod-jk? jakarta-apache-mods?) so
improvements to these could span 3.x and 4.x.

> > Fact: Tomcat 3.x will soon support the new specs too, via Facades.
> >

> Lest there be any confusion here, it is important to point out that the draft
> Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 specs are backwards compatible.  That means any app that
> works in a servlet 2.2 / JSP 1.1 environment will happily run in a servlet 2.3 /
> JSP 1.2 container.  This is true for any container, not just Tomcat.
>
> What this means here is that Tomcat 4.0,. as proposed, will run any
> spec-compliant app (i.e. one that doesn't rely on unspecified and/or buggy
> behavior) that runs in Tomcat 3.x.  No special measures to support two versions
> of the API are needed.

True enough; my point was simply that people who want 2.3, but don't
want to change to Catalina, won't have to (since Tomcat 3.x will
support the latest and greatest specs too).

 - A