tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Arieh Markel <Arieh.Mar...@central.sun.com>
Subject Re: More on changes from 3.1 to 3.2 - how to do it now ?
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:05:37 GMT

> From: Costin Manolache <costin@eng.sun.com>
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: More on changes from 3.1 to 3.2 - how to do it now ?
>
> Arieh Markel wrote:
>
> > Here is another one on the migration ...
> >
> > On 3.1, our application used to invoke the (previously implemented)
> > catalina/Session.access() method.
> >
> > On 3.2 StandardSession is not accessible outside of the package.
> >
> > What is the way to trigger an access() on StandardSession ?
>
> That's hard - tomcat is supposed to work with multiple session managers
>  ( plug ins ), and your code shouldn't depend on any particular session
> manager.
>
> It is possible to do use the internal packages ( take a look at
> SessionInterceptor)
> - but I need more details - why do you need that ??

I think it is because at the time that we finished the work of embedding
tomcat, the session management was not as polished as it is now (there
was no SessionInterceptor).

We ended up implementing putting the session_id as a field inside the path_info
(for GET methods) or as hidden field (on POST methods).

(One of the reasons is that we work with cookies disabled).

I will investigate if changing to use the session URL rewrite functionality
that is available on SessionUtils allows us to forgo what we were doing.

(I looked at the code of SessionInterceptor but could not find where is there
an invocation of the StandardSession.access() method).

Perhaps you can point me at the code that deals with the 'refresh'
(access) of the HttpSession object ?

Thanks,

Arieh