tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Arieh Markel <Arieh.Mar...@central.sun.com>
Subject More on changes from 3.1 to 3.2 - how to do it now ?
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:02:28 GMT
On my continuing saga of figuring out how my application (which embeds
Tomcat) is affected by the change from 3.1 to 3.2, I am running into a
significant number of issues that from inspection of the code is not obvious
how to go about to resolve.

. under 3.1 my application would access the Context on the Servlet
  on the 'init (ServletConfig)' method.

  This is necessary for the application to ascertain whether a servlet
  belongs to the default context or to the 'other' (dynamic) context
  (In my application, servlets can be added to the 'other' context
  at run-time, following detection of events).

  I determine that by comparing the context for that servlet as it is being
  initialized and my 'default' context.

  What would be manner to access a servlet context in the absence of
  an HttpServletRequest, but with the presence of ServletConfig ?

  (I understand, following a reply from Costin, that access to the internals
  could be done once my webapp is 'trusted' and I access the FacadeManager
  through the FacadeManager.FACADE_ATTRIBUTE property, just that I have not
  figured out what object includes those properties - I know it is not
  the servlet itself).

. under 3.1 my application needs to perform redirections to other servlets
  based on path_info information.

  The RequestDispatcher is no longer available on the Context object.

  What would be the way to access a RequestDispatcher based on a
  HttpServletRequest ?

. previously the ServletContextFacade provided access to the RealContext()
  method.
  Now, the only way to get to the Facades is through the FacadeManager, but
  its method require a Request to be passed.

------
I would appreciate any help or pointers at what the evolution from 3.1
to 3.2 needs to be.

Thanks,

Arieh