tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From anonymous anonymous <satanburg...@yahoo.com>
Subject Apache-SSL + Tomcat under Linux: won't start.
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2000 16:30:47 GMT
Apologies for using this 'fun' account, but my work is
sensitive about it's public image right now so I'm
posting this as a private query to avoid a bollocking.
Apologies also if I've got the wrong site for this
query.

WHAT I *CAN'T* DO:
----------
Start up apache AT ALL once I have put the following
into my httpd.conf:

Include
/usr/local/apache/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat/conf/tomcat-apache.conf

There are virtually no symptoms: "httpsdctl start"
just hangs! No errors or log messages are reported.
Only two processes are created; the httpsdctl command
that I'm running, and one httpsd process which is a
child of it. The httpsd process can NOT be killed (no,
not even a "kill -9" issued by root!)

WHAT I *CAN* DO:
----------
1) Use Tomcat as a standalone webserver... (This works
fine - I'm writing my own JSP webapps that use session
objects to bind JDBC Connections [or rather my own
home-grown "session-aware" SessionConnection beans]
and it's great!)

2) Use Apache-SSL without Tomcat.
(This works fine too - once I created my own test
certificate.)

WHAT I HAVE TRIED:
----------
I suspect the problem is with mod_jserv.so. I
downloaded a Linux-specific binary from the web.

But I can't build my own mod_jserv.so. I tried
following the instructions in tomcat_ug.html. I am
using the version of apxs from my $APACHE_HOME/bin.
Here are the last two lines of output returned from
"apxs -c *.c -o mod_jserv.so":

  -o autochange.so mod_jserv.o serv_wrapper_win.o
jserv_wrapper_unix.o jserv_wrapper.o jserv_watchdog.o
jserv_utils.o jserv_status.o jserv_protocols.o
jserv_mmap.o jserv_image.o jserv_balance.o
jserv_ajpv12.o jserv_ajpv11.o autochange.o -o
mod_jserv.so
apxs:Break: Command failed with rc=16711680

VERSION INFO:
-----------
This lot may help with working out what versions of
stuff I'm using:

APACHE-SSL:
---
apache_1_3_12+ssl_1_40

OPENSSL:
---
openssl-0_9_5a

JAKARTA TOMCAT:
---
Tomcat version: 3.1

LINUX:
---
Linux Mandrake release 6.0 (Venus)
Kernel 2.2.9-19mdk on an i686

C:
---
gcc version pgcc-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2 release)

JAVA:
---
jdk116_v5

Regards, Rik Gurney