tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From BugRat Mail System <gjt...@gjt.org>
Subject BugRat Report #10 has been filed.
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2000 21:38:10 GMT
Bug report #10 has just been filed.

   <http://znutar.cortexity.com:8888/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/10>

REPORT #10 Details.

Project: Jasper
Category: Bug Report
SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug
State: received
Severity: critical
Confidence: public
Environment:
   Release: 3.2 beta 2
   JVM Release: 1.3
   Operating System: any
   OS Release: any
   Platform: any

Synopsis:
Jasper does not accept taglibs in JSP 1.1 jar file format

I have written a JSP tag library and packaged it as a .jar file.  The META-INF/taglib.tld
entry contain the tag library descriptor.

When I specify the location of the TLD explicitly in the taglib directive, Tomcat finds it
and the JSP page works fine:

   <%@ taglib prefix="x" uri="/WEB-INF/lib/mylib.jar" %>

However, when I put a mapping in the web.xml file and make the reference indirect, it fails:

   <%@ taglib prefix="x" uri="/mylib" %>

where the following entry is in web.xml:

   <taglib>
      <taglib-uri>/mylib</taglib-uri>
      <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/lib/mylib.jar</taglib-location>
   </taglib>

In this case, the compiler complains:
org.apache.jasper.compiler.CompileException: D:\jspcr\Chap10\Test1.jsp(1,0) Unable to open
taglibrary /mylib : Parse Error in the tag library descriptor: Character conversion error:
"Malformed UTF-8 char -- is an XML encoding declaration missing?" (line number may be too
low).

Possibly it is trying to read the JAR file itself as if it were the TLD?  I know that the
jar file is not corrupt, because it works fine when the URI is specified explicitly.  It only
fails when it is mapped through web.xml.

FWIW - I tested both approaches with the same files in JRun 3.0, and both worked.