tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSALS] Three Proposals for Development of Tomcat 4.0
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2000 20:34:26 GMT
> Hi guys.
>
> Yes, we at Olliance have adopted Catalina (it's great!) and intend to
> make it the first open source distributed Servlet container, plus we'd
> like to add other load balancing and fault tolerance features.  We're
> in the process of planning what we'll do and when we'll do it, but here
> are some of the things we'd like to do:
>
> * Add the functionality to Catalina to operate as a distributed Servlet
>   container as described in the latest Servlet specification (looks like
>   we should wait a little bit for the 2.3 spec to become public, but we
>   know how it was supposed to function as of the 2.2 spec) in stand-alone
>   operation.
> * Integrate Catalina with the Avalon server framework (when Avalon's JNDI
>   issues are finalized and there is a working implementation).

I don't think it's a good idea to have hard dependencies between Catalina
and Avalon, so I'm +1 for adding Avalon support, but with a set of wrappers.
I'll implement JMX support like that, so that you can build Catalina without
JMX.

The appropriate set of wrappers will be compiled if the client has the
appropriate libraries installed, using the Ant "conditional" compile feature
:
    <available property="xslp.present"
               classname="com.kvisco.xsl.XSLProcessor" />

> * Add some load balancing and fault tolerance features to the HTTP 1.1
>   (web server) connector so that it may be easy to install, run, and
>   maintain a cluster of Catalina "web containers".  We're not yet sure
>   if these features should involve Avalon, or if they should be
stand-alone
>   operational features of Catalina.  This one will take a while to design
>   and implement.

That would be great.
Since quite a lot of changes will probably be needed, I suggest implementing
that as a separate connector.

Remy