tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Rudnicki <jdr5l...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: Bug with Win98 ?
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:36:28 GMT
I and others run on Win98 fine, so what you see is not a bug that effects
everyone.  I notice something about your config that lookes familar:
this entry in the class path
D:\jakarta-tomcat\classes
strikes me as suspect.  You should not need it.

Also, you are not using the startup.bat, but skipping directly to a lower
.bat file.  You do not mention setting JAVA_HOME?

Lastly, I've been pushing this as a replacement for the .bat files lately.
It is an .exe launcher that I expect will solve the problem you and many
others have.  If you have a moment, give it a try and tell me it
worked!  It has worked for others.

http://www.geocities.com/jdrudnicki/

http://www.geocities.com/jdrudnicki/JustGo_v10.zip

Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Keene
To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2000 6:53 PM
Subject: Bug with Win98 ?

Hi,
I'm trying to run Tomcat on a Win98 box.
I get the following.
Notice that the Class.forName call is getting a string with slashes in it
instead of dots.
Here is the offending message...

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org/apache/tomcat/service/http/HttpConnectionHandler

Is this a known bug?

I am expert with Java and am willing to debug and test this further so
Tomcat will run
on Win98.

Here is the screen dump of the error...

D:\jakarta-tomcat>cd bin

D:\jakarta-tomcat\bin>edit tomcat.bat

D:\jakarta-tomcat\bin>tomcat run
Using classpath:
D:\jakarta-tomcat\classes;D:\jakarta-tomcat\lib\webserver.jar;D
:\jakarta-tomcat\lib\jasper.jar;D:\jakarta-tomcat\lib\xml.jar;D:\jakarta-tom
cat\
lib\servlet.jar;D:\JDK1.2\lib\tools.jar;D:\jdk1.2\lib\tools.jar;D:\jakarta-t
omca
t\lib\webserver.jar;.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org/apache/tomcat/service/http/HttpConnectionH
andler
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpConnector.setProperty(SimpleTcpCon
nector.java:180)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.MethodSetter.end(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.matchEnd(Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.endElement(XmlMapper.java:96)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.maybeElement(Compiled Code)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.content(Compiled Code)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.maybeElement(Compiled Code)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.content(Compiled Code)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.maybeElement(Compiled Code)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.content(Compiled Code)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.maybeElement(Compiled Code)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.parseInternal(Compiled Code)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.parse(Parser.java:283)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXml(XmlMapper.java:198)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:143)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:163)
Context log: path="/examples" Adding context path="/examples"
docBase="webapps/
examples"
Context log: path="" Adding context path=""  docBase="webapps/ROOT"
Context log: path="/test" Adding context path="/test"
docBase="webapps/test"
Starting tomcat. Check logs/tomcat.log for error messages
Starting tomcat install="D:\jakarta-tomcat" home="D:\jakarta-tomcat"
classPath="
D:\jakarta-tomcat\classes;D:\jakarta-tomcat\lib\webserver.jar;D:\jakarta-tom
cat\
lib\jasper.jar;D:\jakarta-tomcat\lib\xml.jar;D:\jakarta-tomcat\lib\servlet.j
ar;D
:\JDK1.2\lib\tools.jar;D:\jdk1.2\lib\tools.jar;D:\jakarta-tomcat\lib\webserv
er.j
ar;."
FATAL:java.lang.Exception: Invalid ConnectionHandler
java.lang.Exception: Invalid ConnectionHandler
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpConnector.start(SimpleTcpConnector
.java:133)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.start(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:157)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:163)
D:\jakarta-tomcat\bin>