tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Harms <j...@clarionmag.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat, Catalina, and Java2
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:10:34 GMT
Craig,

> Both Tomcat 3.x and Catalina have the concept of a Realm that separates
> the idea of looking up users and passwords from the idea of where they
> are looked up (the implementation details are a little different, but the
> concept is the same).

Thanks, I'll take a closer look at the Realm code. What's missing there for
me is that I have some special-case authentication - not all access fits
into a role scheme. So there's role-based authentication for the majority
of pages, but where it fails there needs to be a check for
user/page-specific permissions.

> Contributions for other sources of authentication would certainly be
> useful!

I'll see how it goes<g>.

Dave

Dave Harms