tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Shachor Gal <shac...@techunix.technion.ac.il>
Subject Re: Scalability/concurrent users
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:06:12 GMT

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Costin Manolache wrote:

> John Econopouly wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to get tomcat to work with alot of concurrent user connections.
> > So far, I can't seem to get it to work past about 250, and it seems very
> > slow - do any of you feel it can handle more?  I was hoping for 1000...
>
> :-)
> I am more than happy we can handle 250 in this release, but you'll have to wait
> for next one for 1000 !

One question, what did you set your file limit for? Any socket will
require a file descriptor... for 1k sockets make sure that your limits are
"unlimited".

Also, look at your other limits, if you want to have K's of threads and
sockets then you should make sure that you can do that, for example,
AFIK, the old posix thread limit was 512 threads/process! Just make sure
that what you want is possible (for example, just try to open K threads
and see that things are OK).

One last thing, from experience, with K's of threads in the JVM the GC
synchronization overhead can be rather high on UNIX/NT (I heard that you
can open some 20-40K threads in a single JVM on AS/400 but never really
try that myself).

	Gal Shachor