tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cos...@eng.sun.com
Subject Re: Tomcat, Catalina, and Java2
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:53:20 GMT
> I'm a little surprised at the friendly infighting. Just for clarification,
> is Catalina destined to be Tomcat 4.0, or is there a chance that Tomcat 3.x
> could take that honor? I assume that this would come up to a vote amongst
> the contributors, but for those of us that are writing future tools and
> integration, it would be nice to know. When will this decision take place?
>
> I think it will come down to a case where there is no clear winner. It's the
> classic design vs. performance question. I would be surprised if the more
> componetized and better designed Catalina could outperform the more
> evolutionary, but harder to learn, Tomcat. Then again, this is supposed to
> be a reference platform, and design should win out.

I think all that's important is the design. Yes, catalina may be better
documented and marketed, may have better support for other protocols, etc.

But in the end the better design does matter - and that's where tocmat3.x
is (IMHO) better. Of course, you shouldn't believe me - use your own
experience, try to understand the patterns used.

After all, Jigsaw is a great server and servlet chaining ( in it's
much better form as valves) is not a bad pattern, and maybe the model used
by the IIS/NES/Apache is all wrong and all will adopt the new
catalina design.

Even if catalina will have the same features and performance as tomcat
3.2, that doesn't mean it will be the perfect design - things may evolve
in other directions.

The only sure thing is that you'll allways have a better product.

Costin