tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <cos...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat, Catalina, and Java2
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:54:25 GMT
> I would not recommend changing the existing Tomcat 3.2 code base, which
> has support for both JDK 1.1 and Java2 environments (with some pretty
> intricate code to mitigate the differences).  Tomcat 3.x should continue
> to support both platforms, based on the Servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1
> specifications.

I agree that Tomcat 3.2 should keep supporting JDK1.1 at the core level,
using the agreed rules - no JDK1.2 code in tomcat.core, but free use of
1.2 or any other API in modules, plus conditional compilation in antfile.

I don't thin this is so "intricate", and it provent to be a very good
solution ( and it's based on a very simple and clean design pattern ).

I do plan to start using collections extensively in tomcat ( mapper, etc),
but of course that will not affect the 1.1 users.

( and probably same mechanism will be used to implement next servlet and
JSP spec - i.e. it will be a  module that depends on core, but core will
not depend on the module.  ).

( this is on top of my free-time-project list  - finishing the separation
of core and servlet facade that will allow a clean implementation of
servlet 2.3 as a module in tomcat )

Costin