tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: Any progress on the bug tracking system?
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2000 06:11:15 GMT
on 7/17/2000 10:49 PM, "brian moseley" <ix@maz.org> wrote:

> what exactly is "getting it right"?

#1. Good UI design.
#2. Good database design.
#3. Good code design.

So far, Bugzilla is missing on all three points.

> actually i think the guy has a pretty good point, one that
> i've been trying to make to folks here at the conference.
> everybody's so engrossed in writing every application in the
> technological flavor of the day, they tend to forget that
> the user community would be pretty happy with a single
> stable usable secure tool. if one doesn't exist, build it.
> if one exists but has some architecture besides java
> servlets, might not our time be better spent elsewhere?

That would be great, except bugzilla doesn't have a good architecture at all
and fixing it would mean re-coding it from scratch.

For Scarab, yes I am taking all the good ideas in bugzilla and duplicating
them, but at the same time, I'm also doing my best to fix all the wrong
ideas.

> disagree. let's as a community focus on problems that have
> yet to be solved, rather than those for which solutions are
> a dime a dozen.

Huh? That doesn't make any sense in regards to bugzilla. Sorry, but issue
tracking systems are not a dime a dozen. If they were, we would have more
good choices than gnats, bugzilla and jitterbug.

> i'll look into scarab. perhaps it will meet the needs of my
> community (mod_perl). if so, i'll be glad to use it.

If you are in the mod_perl community, what are you doing on this list? :-)

> otherwise, i suspect one of us will get around to
> re-implementing bugzilla.

Like I said, I'm trying to start with an excellent and well thought out
schema, so I would encourage you to at least use that as a basis. Good
helpful comments on the schema are appreciated.

-jon