tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-servletapi build.bat
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:22:06 GMT

Craig wrote:

> The same principle is evident in the tomcat.bat/tomcat.sh scripts in
> Tomcat, where we add any existing classpath *after* the files from the
> lib directory, rather than before.

And take a look at build.bat/sh...it does it in the other order.  What we
have is a royal mess.

> If we do not do this, anyone with a non-JAXP XML parser in their
> classpath is screwed up, even if they have "jaxp.jar" and "parser.jar"
> in the lib directory.

Conversely, if I choose to put Xerces in my classpath for SAX2 support, I
will be rather confused and annoyed when my wishes are overridden without
so much as a warning.

> We should be striving to make installation less difficult and
> error-prone, and IMHO classpath ordering is a large percentage of user
> install problems with Tomcat 3.1.

No question on the above statement, but unilaterally and silently
overriding user's explicitly stated wishes is not the way to achieve it.

- Sam Ruby