tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Biju.Therakathilal (Exchange)" <Biju.Therakathi...@target.com>
Subject RE: Sessions - Memory Constraints
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:38:55 GMT
When you put an object in session, the whole object is kept in memory.
Normal objects doesn't have persistence capability. So the only way is to
keep it in momory.

Biju

-----Original Message-----
From: Doshi, Gunjan [mailto:gunjan_doshi@merck.com]
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 1:33 PM
To: 'tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: Sessions - Memory Constraints

Friends:
When you put a object in the session, does that mean the whole object is
loaded in the memory.

Because if the whole object is stored in the memory, then the chances of
reaching the peak and getting out of memory errors are high.

Example: Say I have a image and I need to put that in the session. Does that
mean the whole Image object gets stored in the memory for each session
created.

Or is it that only the reference to the object is loaded in the memory.

Best Regards
Gunjan