tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: What are AddType & AddHandler?
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:41:29 GMT
Olivier.Lefevre@ubsw.com wrote:

> These two directives are not documented anywhere that I could find (not in the
> User Guide, in particular), although they were included in the automatically
> generated (by Tomcat 3.1) tomcat-apache.conf file. Specifically:
>
>    AddHandler jser-servelt .jsp
>    AddType test/jsp .jsp
>    AddType etc etc [for every servlet/JSP context]
>
> This looks suspiciously like the kind of stuff that now belongs in web.xml, not
> tomcat.conf. Is it a remnant from pre-1.1 days? Please clarify...

These are directives that go into the *Apache* configuration file
(httpd.conf), so
you'd do well to look at the Apache server documentation at
<http://www.apache.org>.

> Also, is there a server.xml DTD somewhere?

No ... and in general it won't be possible to create one because the
elements and
attributes that are understood by Tomcat's internal objects as
server.xml is read
can be very dynamic.

> Thanks beforehand,
>
> Olivier Lefevre

Craig McClanahan

> PS: Sorry for the ridiculous disclaimer.

> arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore
> of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If
> verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This
> related financial instruments.

And they used to complain when *users* added a signature file longer
than the
message it was attached to :-)