tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/proposals/catalina README
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2000 16:40:53 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> >   +  version number is 1.0.1) from <http://java.sun.com/xml>.  Set an
> environment
> >   +  variable "JAXP_HOME" pointing at the directory to which you installed
> this
> >   +  distribution.  In addition, add the "jaxp.jar" and "parser.jar" files
> >   +  your classpath.
>
> I have noticed that the new Catalina.bat doesn't append the system
> classpath, for security reasons I guess. So right now, unless I missed
> something, JAXP (or any other libraries) has to be in the lib subdirectory.

Catalina does not make its own classes visible on the system classpath any
longer.  Instead, there are two different "JAR library" directories in
$CATALINA_HOME (i.e. wherever you build it):

* The "server" directory contains JAR files that
  Catalina itself needs to execute.  The build
  script copies jaxp.jar and parser.jar here, along
  with others (regexp.jar) used internally.

* The "lib" directory contains JAR files that are
  made visible on the system classpath to all
  web applications -- any existing CLASSPATH
  variable is ignored.  If your apps need the parser
  as well, you need to copy "jaxp.jar" and
  "parser.jar" (or any other JAXP-compatible
  parser) to this directory also.

And yes, the docs definitely need to describe the runtime environment in more
detail :-)

> Remy

Craig