tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Eduardo Pelegri--Llopart <Eduardo.Pelegrillop...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] New build targets for Tomcat
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:14:09 GMT
Wow!  What I've been missing by doing a server-side redirect of
tomcat-dev.  I don't want to necessarily restart the thread but since
"Sun people" were mentioned...

It seems to me that there are several different points.

* Doing something due to security issues in jasper.
I do not believe this is a compelling argument.  If there is a bug
we should fix it.

* Making a separate build target without JSP
+1

* Making the build of the Servlet container available without the JSP
container support at jakarta, and if so, in what fashion.

I don't have a real issue with this as long as it is clear what it is,
and we make a real effort to make it very easy for the majority of the
people to find what they are looking for.

* If the build is made available, then with what name

Jasper has not been used for a long time.  For good or for bad nobody
has been making a separation between tomcat and jasper outside of
some "relatively small" set of developers and there are many
references out there to Tomcat.

It already has taken quite a bit of energy to train people that Jakarta
is *NOT* Tomcat (and this requires constant efforts), so I am against
complicating this even further.

I don't have a good suggestion for a name, maybe somebody will.  The
best I can come up with is:

	* Tomcat 4.0 Servlet and JSP engine
	* Jasper JSP compiler
	* Tomcat 4.0 Servlet without Jasper JSP compiler.

	- eduard/o