tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Anil Vijendran <...@pipedream.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] New build targets for Tomcat
Date Sun, 23 Jul 2000 02:33:01 GMT
Sam, I hear you but....

At this point in time, I don't see Tomcat and Jasper as two different packages
or projects. I used to earlier during the formative stages of Jakarta. I had a
mild preference to keep them separate but for some reasons (which I agreed
with but don't remember now) it was decided to keep them the same. So,
basically Tomcat had [a Servlet Engine + a JSP Engine + connectors etc added
later].

The core JSP engine as it stands now is moving in the direction of not only
being a pure servlet (which makes it runnable on other servlet containers) as
well as using servlet engine - specific mechanisms (ex: interceptors) to run
"better" on specific servlet engines. I expect to be able to take full
advantage of Catalina - specific mechanisms for JSP stuff for the next major
release. Given all these developments, it is unclear to me if they should be
two projects or not.

Given the history, especially my mild preference from the past to keep them
separate, I'm sure I can be convinced to have separate builds, make them
separate projects and so on... But I don't want any of this to be driven by
personal biases. Its unfortunate and I hate to feel that way but given Jon's
biases, the fact that Jon is making this proposal does not go down very well
in my mind. Its very hard to look at the original proposal ignoring this bias
-- as this very thread goes to prove, not many people have been able to ignore
it.

There are various arguments that can be made for and against a proposal like
this. And there are various alternatives as well (example: distributing a
Tomcat minus JSP build on some website or the other and even automating it).

All I'm requesting at this point is we take this issue back to the drawing
board, probably ping the user community as well and feed it as input into what
the mission of Jakarta is... I'll give my input to the decision process and
will gladly back the decision whatever it may be.

--
Peace, Anil +<:-)