tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Anil Vijendran <...@pipedream.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] New build targets for Tomcat
Date Sat, 22 Jul 2000 02:40:18 GMT
Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 7/21/2000 7:02 PM, "Anil Vijendran" <akv@pipedream.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm not very relegious about this at all. I just think saying Jakarta is about
> > Servlets *and* JSP in one place and then separating them by making different
> > builds
> > to suit random whims and fancies undermines Jakarta.
>
> And I think that Jakarta is larger than just Tomcat + JSP's.

I agree it is larger. I think there's some notional problem here. You always say
things like "Tomcat + JSPs". To me, just saying "Tomcat" includes a
JSP implementation and a Servlet implementation.

> In case you missed it, we are going to combine java.apache.org and
> jakarta.apache.org at some point. This has already been agreed upon by the
> PMC and hasn't happened yet solely for time constraints and volunteers to
> take care of it.

Yep, I've heard about this and we all agreed this is a good idea.

> There will be overlapping technologies and that really is not viewed as a
> bad thing by anyone that I have heard. Lets let the community decide what
> options they choose to use and not force what people at Sun (or previously
> at Sun) think is the best for them down their throats. That is my point of
> also distributing TeaServlet as an option to JSP with Tomcat.

The people at Apache and the people at Sun  originally decided that Tomcat will be
the official ref impl for JSPs _and_ Servlets. If what was agreed upon there needs
to be changed, you should find out what is the best forum to make that happen.

While you're at it, you should also ask yourself if you think Jakarta could be an
incubator for projects that provide functionality similar to (or overlapping with)
Servlets? (Example: an alternative managed server-side object technology.)

In an open-source atmosphere like this I feel bad about having to listen to things
like the people at Sun forcing things down people's throats. It feels like you are
trying to stoke anti-Sun sentiments (to bolster your opinions) in a forum that is
solely focused on providing good software tools and technologies. Now, *that* is
politics. Sigh!

> Jakarta is about providing an incubator for Java technologies for the server
> side until they grow up to become their own projects with their own PMC's
> (ie: tomcat.apache.org). Making this happen is still a little ways off as it
> needs more discussion within the PMC's and member groups, but as far as I
> can tell everyone has agreed the above is what is needed in the long run
> (correct me if I am wrong here).

This is a great idea and I hope we can all work towards making this happen.

--
Peace, Anil +<:-)