tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: A third party short summary of Classloader woes - aren't they allcaused by..
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2000 17:42:09 GMT
Jim Rudnicki wrote:

> [snip]
> So can I collect any agreement on the issue of org.w3c.dom?  Despite the
> good intentions of ostensibly intelligent people, it is not a good thing to
> put two different packages under the same package name?

The particular issue with the XML classes can be solved in a way
completely
separate from the class loader ordering issue.

The reason that this is a problem is that Tomcat 3.2 currently makes its
own
classes, and the classes that it depends on, visible on the system class
path
(and therefore visible to web applications).  A solution to that problem
would
be to not do so -- arrange that Tomcat's own classes, and whatever XML
parser it
wants to use, to *not* be visible on the system class path.  This change
was
recently implemented in Catalina, but I cannot work on it for Tomcat 3.x
until
next week (after returning from the O'Reilly Open Source Conference).

That way, the sysadmin can install or not install an XML parser as a
shared
system library, and the web app will either override or not override
that
library depending on the resolution of the ordering question -- which
needs to
be done in the spec so that it is implemented consistently.

> Jim

Craig McClanahan