tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>
Subject Re: Lutris_Kelp: [Fwd: What Do We Do With The User's Classpath?]
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2000 05:53:54 GMT
The method of delegating class loading below has one potential gotcha.
If you have X virtual web hosts, each with Y webapps, and there is a
cool library Z which web publishers put in each of their web app directories...

Each web app class loader could have an instance of the classes from
library Z, or X*Y instances of the same class resident in the JVM stack.
This could significantly increase JVM stack usage and tomcat scalability.

I see the need for delegation of class loading, but I don't think this
should be the default behaviour.  By default Tomcat should follow the
normal class loading scheme where the webapp lib/classes directories
are checked last.  But if for some reason a customer needed a different
version of a library you could configure server.xml to allow a single
package to be loaded by the web app classloader overriding the
parent class loaders.

<Context ...>
  <overload package="com.some.cool.package"/>
</Context>

Regards,

Glenn