tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat, Catalina, and Java2
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:36:52 GMT
Dave Harms wrote:

> Costin,
>
> > Right now both tomcat and catalina are using a simple
> > user/password model, execept that in catalina it's part
> > of the set of interfaces while in tomcat is just an implementation
> > detail.
> >
> I haven't looked closely at the code yet, but from what I've gathered
> it seems to be less complex than my needs. I'd be interested in
> contributing something once I'm up to speed (assuming of course that
> the contributions are useful<g>).

Both Tomcat 3.x and Catalina have the concept of a Realm that separates
the idea of looking up users and passwords from the idea of where they
are looked up (the implementation details are a little different, but the
concept is the same).  Both implementations default to an XML file in the
"conf" directory, but both of them let you configure something different
if you want it.  Both currently include a Realm implementation that lets
you go to a database for your authorization information.

Contributions for other sources of authentication would certainly be
useful!

> Dave
>
> Dave Harms
> jdev@clarionmag.com