tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat, Catalina, and Java2
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:33:57 GMT
James Cook wrote:

> I'm a little surprised at the friendly infighting. Just for clarification,
> is Catalina destined to be Tomcat 4.0, or is there a chance that Tomcat 3.x
> could take that honor? I assume that this would come up to a vote amongst
> the contributors, but for those of us that are writing future tools and
> integration, it would be nice to know. When will this decision take place?

The future code base for Tomcat will definitely be voted on by the TOMCAT-DEV
community, according to the guidelines that are outlined on the Jakarta web
site.

I have not proposed replacing Tomcat 3.x with Catalina yet because it is not yet
feature complete, but it's getting a lot closer.  The biggest single area of
missing functionality is porting the web server connectors so that you can run
behind Apache/iPlanet/IIS/AOLserver like Tomcat can.  In my ideal scenario, this
functionality will be added over the next few months.

> I think it will come down to a case where there is no clear winner. It's the
> classic design vs. performance question. I would be surprised if the more
> componetized and better designed Catalina could outperform the more
> evolutionary, but harder to learn, Tomcat. Then again, this is supposed to
> be a reference platform, and design should win out.

I'm not worried about matching Tomcat 3.x performance -- Catalina is close
enough today that tuning (which has barely started, while that was a major focus
in Tomcat 3.1 -> 3.2) will have lots of opportunities to improve things.  :-).

I am much more interested in Tomcat stand-alone performance (as well as
continuing to care about performance behind web servers) than Tomcat 3.x has
been, because that's the usual environment if you integrate inside a J2EE server
or other similar environment.

> jim

Craig