tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cos...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat, Catalina, and Java2
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:19:56 GMT
> > Right now both tomcat and catalina are using a simple
> > user/password model, execept that in catalina it's part
> > of the set of interfaces while in tomcat is just an implementation
> > detail.
> >
> I haven't looked closely at the code yet, but from what I've gathered
> it seems to be less complex than my needs. I'd be interested in
> contributing something once I'm up to speed (assuming of course that
> the contributions are useful<g>).

:-)

Besides the simple text and database realms ( using user/pass for auth )
we do have an adapter to J2EE auth system ( I think it's based on JAAS),
and I heard about one JAAS  implementation.

My advice is to develop your authentication code based on your needs,
without any dependency on tomcat, and use an adapter - if you need help
with the later I can help.
The adapter will have access to all the tomcat internals, I hope you'll
have all you need there.

Costin