tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cos...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat, Catalina, and Java2
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 05:57:05 GMT
> > That fresh start, in the
> > opinion of lots of folks that have looked at it, is Catalina.
>
> I agree. Craig also didn't mention the fact that Tomcat's code base is a
> mess and hard to read. It has gotten better in what will be 3.2, but it is
> still really hard to understand. Catalina is simply much cleaner and also is
> very well documented. It is the right direction IMHO.

Except the design, Catalina is indeed much better. Fortunately, on long term
the best design tends to survive and win - the code's mess is less important.
:-)

I'm of course looking forward to see Catalina implement the same features as
tomcat at the same peformance level, and _then_ compare code complexity. It
alredy have it's own little mess ( I spent few days to merge back the session
and http code into tomcat and it still doesn't work.  Try yourself and you'll
have a different perspective )

Costin