tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat, Catalina, and Java2
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:33:40 GMT
Edward Wolpert wrote:

> "Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
> > be migrated).  Making the Java2 dependency known now lets us start
> > migrating the Catalina code base to Java2 now (such as switching to the
> > collections classes), and will vastly simplify the integration of other
> > features (such as taking advantage of the Java2 security model, and
>
> The only problem I see with this is that Java2 isn't production quality
> on BSD systems yet.  FreeBSD has an alpha version at 1.2.2, for example.
> They haven't even started a 1.3 version yet. Checking out the JSR from
> the link you gave, it requires the security model found in 1.3.
>
> I like leaving Tomcat 3.x allowing JDK1.1. But untill BSD UNIX versions
> can run Java2, we might want to wait for Tomcat 4.x to require Java2.
> (Well, I'm sure the FreeBSD folks will have the JDK1.2.2 done by then,
> but I'm not sure about the 1.3 port.)

As I indicated in the original post, Catalina is going to be proposed for
Tomcat 4.x, not 3.x.  If the final version of the Servlet 2.3 spec requires
J2SE, there will be no reason not to use such features inside Catalina -- it
just won't run on platforms without a compatible Java environment until one
becomes available.

> [Info on the freebsd port can be found at http://www.freebsd.org/java]
>
> --
>
> Virtually,