tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-servletapi build.bat
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:40:04 GMT
rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> craigmcc wrote:
> > Add a missing '%' in the classpath setting, and regularize the direction
> > of the slashes.  In addition, put the "ant.jar" and "tools.jar" files at
> > the beginning of the generated classpath, rather than the end, to avoid
> > prolems with existing Ant classes being present.
>
> -1 on the reordering.  +1 on the rest.
>
> I never liked batch files or shell scripts that felt that they knew better
> that I do - my feeling is that what I put in my classpath should take
> precidence.  This dates back to the problems I had with JDK1.1 with dealing
> with batch files which insisted on adding tools.jar to the path.  In this
> case the problem is eliminated by the use of JAVA_HOME, but the priciple
> remains.

I'm sure I am not the only one who has been bit by this (many of the Ant
changes lately have broken my build scripts that had previous versions of Ant
visible in the classpath).

The same principle is evident in the tomcat.bat/tomcat.sh scripts in Tomcat,
where we add any existing classpath *after* the files from the lib directory,
rather than before.  If we do not do this, anyone with a non-JAXP XML parser in
their classpath is screwed up, even if they have "jaxp.jar" and "parser.jar" in
the lib directory.  We should be striving to make installation less difficult
and error-prone, and IMHO classpath ordering is a large percentage of user
install problems with Tomcat 3.1.

Other comments?

> - Sam Ruby

Craig