tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cos...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Stack Traces in standalone classes
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2000 20:46:49 GMT
Alex Chaffee wrote:

> I've been going through and converting various printStackTrace() calls
> and System.out.println()s to use loghelper.log("reason", exception).
> This is safe even if there are no loggers yet, since if it can't find
> a good logger, it prints to System.err.  It also uses
> Logger.throwableToString, which is smart obout printing nested
> exceptions (ServletException and TomcatException -- hmm, it occurs to
> me that it should be smart about JDBCException too.)
>
> Certain classes feel like they want to be independent of all
> references to other Tomcat packages/classes.  Some even say so in the
> documentation.  To wit:
>
>         XmlMapper
>         SSLSocketFactory
>         AdaptiveClassLoader
>
> and probably a few others.
>
> Any strong feelings about using/not using the above logging technique
> in these classes?  I feel it's probably OK, since it's "just" Logger,
> and it's a known behavior that degrades gracefully in a non-Tomcat
> context.

I'm -0 ( i.e. I wouldn't complain if you add dependencies to Logger,
since the logger is a standalone component too and can be included
easily ).

I would feel more comfortable for a next release, and after a round
of "evolution" for Logger. I think you made huge improvements to
it, and we are very close to something really good :-)

Costin