tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Jamison <rjami...@lincom-asg.com>
Subject Using xerces/jaxp with Tomcat
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2000 22:17:21 GMT
A few days ago, I saw a posting here about using xerces by
including the jar file before other parser libraries.  Sun's JAXP,
however, defaults to com.sun.xml...... ,  so if jaxp.jar is used,
I have found that this property definition works for xerces1.1.2:

-Djavax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory=
org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl

This class appears to be a recent arrival, and is not in 1.1.1.

Also,  xerces 1.1.2 has its own jaxp implementation,
with (apparently) a default to its own ParserFactories.
So xerces.jar without jaxp.jar, and without the property
setting seems to work also.

Since Jasper-jsp still has hardcoded com.sun.xml dependencies,
it is still necessary to include parser.jar.

So the following two methods seem to work for me:
1.  Copy xerces.jar into the /lib directory, set the -D property
in the startup scripts somewhere.

2.  Copy xerces.jar into the /lib directory, remove jaxp.jar.

Hope this helps.  This should aid those interested in using
some of the other Apache/XML projects in Tomcat,
which might have conflicted with ProjectX.

Bob Jamison
LinCom Corp