tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From pha...@ipass.net
Subject RE: [BUG] Network connection reset while uploading large file
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:08:48 GMT
I believe this is a web server configuration issue, not
a Tomcat problem.  I was able to reproduce your problem
with both Tomcat and JRun 3.0, with both IE and
Netscape (and telnet, for that matter).

Apache has a set of directives:

LimitRequestBody
LimitRequestFields
LimitRequestFieldsize
LimitRequestLine

that restrict the size of a request input stream.
LimitRequestFieldsize, for example, has a precompiled
default of 8192 bytes.  This provides a measure of
protection agains denial of service attacks.

I expect that IIS has a similar restricting feature (I
don't have it installed so I can't check).

Quoting Steve Fyfe <SDF@cnicorp.com>:
> > I have discovered that when I attempt to upload a
file larger than 40KB,
> Tomcat will just reset the network connection. As a
result, IE shows an
> error screen with the message "Server or DNS not
available", and Netscape
> gives an error message box saying "A network error
has occurred while
> sending data (Connection reset by peer)."
> >
> >  Whenever I send a file that is smaller than 40KB,
the response produced
> by the test servlet is correctly shown in the
browser's window. But if I
> upload a file larger than 40KB using the exact same
configuration and
> servlet, the code in the servlet is executed but the
web page produced by
> the servlet never appears - the browser's error
message appears instead.