tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee <g...@edamame.stinky.com>
Subject Lifecycle problem starting under heavy load
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2000 17:57:38 GMT
I just tracked down a very irritating bug.  I have no idea what's
causing it; the tracking down was just identifying the situation that
causes it.

If you start up Tomcat standalone on a site that's *already* receiving
a high volume of requests for a servlet, then that servlet may somehow
get a null ServletConfig object, causing log() to fail.

I suppose this means that the part of the container responsible for
creating the servlet gets confused if a request comes in at just the
wrong time during the initialization process.  Possibly either
skipping the call to servlet.init(ServletConfig), or calling it with a
null parameter, possibly a second time.

I had to turn off my DSL before starting Tomcat.  Once it's started, I
can turn the hose back on.

Dunno if I'll have time to track this down further.  It should be easy
to reproduce -- run a script that spews connection requests, *then*
launch Tomcat.  If the servlet calls log(), your servlet.log file will
soon fill with stack traces.

 - A