tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee <g...@edamame.stinky.com>
Subject Re: Problems in win32 environment
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 23:08:50 GMT
> 1/ All the .bat batches coming with tomcat are using Unix oses convention
> for end of line, i.e. only one byte (0x0a). That's bad, for bat files rely
> on end of lines to parse instructions, and 0x0a isn't recognized for such.

I agree that this should be fixed.  However, I'm not sure why it's not
working -- the build.xml file has the line

  <fixcrlf srcdir="${tomcat.build}" includes="*.bat" cr="add"/>

Maybe it's an Ant bug?

> 2/ Similarly, the same is happening to log files. Though globally improved,
> on MS platform they are readable only after 'UNIX->DOS EOL char' conversion.

Again, I'm not sure why this is failing for you; please confirm that
TomcatLogger.java has the code

    static char[] newline;
    static {
	String separator = System.getProperty("line.separator", "\n");
	newline = separator.toCharArray();
    }
			    writer.write(logEntry.toString());
			    writer.write(newline);

I've been developing on Windows 98 for a few weeks (on the road) and my
log files are perfectly legible :-)

Another problem on Windows 95/98 is that the line in tomcat.bat that
adds lib/*.jar to the classpath just plain doesn't work.  I'm not a
good wnough DOS BAT hacker to fix this (though I just spent 1/2 hour
trying :-(

> That's true of these three, with this configuration:
>
>     <Logger name="tc_log"
>             path="logs/tomcat.log"
>             customOutput="yes"
>             verbosityLevel = "DEBUG"
>             timestamp="yes" />

Now I know something's fishy -- this is the old server.xml
configuration; the new server.xml doesn't have customOutput or
timestamp attributes. (The default is now yes for both.)  So, please
make sure you really are using the current build; if you're absolutely
sure, then let me know and we can try to debug it.

Hmm, I think I'll add a log entry with the version info at startup, to
help with the "absolutely sure" factor...