tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee <g...@edamame.stinky.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: Timestamps in log
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2000 10:21:29 GMT
On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 09:06:18PM -0700, Costin Manolache wrote:
> +1 on adding it. If Sam agrees, it can go into 3.2.
>
> I'm not sure about the default - I would like "none" or "msec" as default.
> It is still a very expensive operation, and if somebody really needs the date it
> can easily convery msec to Date in a post-processor. As long as we don't follow
> the common log format it doesn't matter what default we use.

My rule of thumb in programming is "don't pre-optimize".  Most people
using Tomcat will not be running high-load web sites (since most
people in the world don't run high-load web sites) so it's better to
optimize for clarity over performance.

Also, given that the log writer is running in a backround thread
anyway (nice design, whoever wrote that, btw), it will never impact
the latency of a request in any case.

(Anyone replying may say +1 for "2000-07-04 13:45:11" and -1 for
"963636252"; if nobody but Costin objects, I'll keep it how it is by
default.)

 - Alex