tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee <g...@edamame.stinky.com>
Subject Re: Custom logs must die
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2000 08:57:37 GMT

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 11:36:47AM -0400, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	Well, as a career Lurker, I'm not sure I have much say here,
> but...
> 	Funny XML tags suck during development, when all you want to see
> is the messages output as a result of your latest change.  But I suspect
> they'd be *very* useful in production, where you could easily parse the
> logs for certain dates, modules, error levels, or whatever.  My wife the
> web developer says she'd pay for this feature.  FWIW.  :)

Too bad it's open source, huh?  Or we could charge her for it... ;-)

I agree that would be nice. However, right now, it doesn't do that; it
just wraps the whole bloody message in a single tag that happens to be
the same as the name of the log file you're in, e.g.
<jasper_log> timestamp - blah blah blah </jasper_log>

I'm suggesting we kill "custom" and then later maybe add an "xml"
format, e.g.

<entry>
 <date>2000-07-04</data>
 <time>23:45:11</time>
 <component>ContextManager</component>
 <message>something happened</message>
 <exception>java.lang.NullPointerException
...stacktrace...
 </exception>
</entry>

but not yet!