tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Geoff Soutter" <ge...@whitewolf.com.au>
Subject Re: Trouble starting Tomcat on a non-internet connected computer...
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2000 01:24:41 GMT
Not sure about what Costin said, but perhaps this is the relevant part:

> ERROR reading D:\build\tomcat\webapps\examples\WEB-INF\web.xml
> java.net.UnknownHostException: java.sun.com

Are you using Win9x or WinNT?

I know that running Tomcat (and even JSWDK) on Win9x is _really_ sensitive
to the internet settings. It's something to do with DNS being broken when
not connected to the internet or something, but from what I can recall its
pretty hard to figure out whats really going on, I remember even localhost
stops working...! I've never used NT under dialup so I'm not sure if it has
the same problems, probably not since I think the TCP/IP stacks are
different... (apparently WinMe (yuck) has the same TCPIP as NT)

Does anyone know the real story of what happens with Tomcat, Win9x and
connecting to the internet? I'd really like to hear the details if anyone
does...

cheers

Geoff