tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew Dornquast" <matt...@cata.com>
Subject Re: Javadoc !!!
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:22:18 GMT

Ironically, I found myself missing design docs more than java doc when
studying tomcat.

High level pictures are nice, two pictures would solve most of the issues:

1.  High level static object model that shows relationships between major
parts of tomcat.  (Almost at the package level)
2.  High level sequence diagram on a "happy path" through tomcat showing
dynamic relationship of objects illustrated in step 1.

The code was readable, although sparse (Heck, barren) in comments.  It was
the "flow" that was hardest to disern.
How did I get here?  Where am I going?  How do I intercept this valve? 8-)

<rant>
What bugged me even more was the arbitrary use of spaces and tabs for
indentation.  Very inconsistent!
</rant>

A beautifier behind the CVS checkin event can work wonders for code
consistency.  JIndent has a great functionality and even stubs in java docs
for those that forget. :)

-Matthew