tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Rudnicki <jdr5l...@pacbell.net>
Subject A third party short summary of Classloader woes - aren't they all caused by..
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2000 07:49:37 GMT
org.w3c.dom? Level 1 and Level 2 (and the like)

After watching this most informative debate about classloaders, I've
converted to Costin's side.  Of course my web app shouldn't be able to
choose classes over those provided by the system.  I've been given so many
good ideas: if I could just get my own "special" copy of java.util.Hashtable
before the system's... or maybe slip my jdbc driver inplace of the
system's...

But I'm still left with this nagging problem that I feel is the ignitor of
many people's problems (not that it is the sum of the powder keg, just a
little spark): the aformentioned DOM level 1 and 2.

So can I collect any agreement on the issue of org.w3c.dom?  Despite the
good intentions of ostensibly intelligent people, it is not a good thing to
put two different packages under the same package name?

Jim